... Because Everyone Can Build a Family


Gestational Surrogacy is permitted in Oklahoma because no statute or published case law prohibits it.
Do courts grant pre-birth parentage orders? 

It is possible in some courts, but most courts prefer a post-birth process. Results vary by county.


Can both Intended Parents be declared the legal parents in a post-birth order if at least one parent is genetically related to the child?

Note: as noted above, in some counties the parentage order will be pre-birth, but most are post-birth.

  • Married heterosexual couple using own egg and own sperm: Yes
  • Married heterosexual couple using an egg donor or sperm donor: Yes
  • Unmarried heterosexual couple using own egg and own sperm: Yes
  • Unmarried heterosexual couple using an egg donor or sperm donor: Yes 
  • Same-sex couple using an egg donor or sperm donor: Yes
  • Single parent using own egg or sperm: Yes, in most counties

Can both Intended Parents be declared the legal parents in a post-birth order if no parent is genetically related to the child?

  • Married heterosexual couple: Yes, if they are the recipients of an embryo donation, which is explicitly permitted by statute Okla. Stat. 10-556 to a husband and wife.
  • Unmarried heterosexual couple: No
  • Same-sex couple: Unclear for married couples. No for unmarried couples.
  • Single parent:  No

What are the bases for venue for where the court petition is filed?  There is no venue requirement. Venue can be based on the consent of all parties and upon the court’s willingness to allow the petition to be heard.
Do results vary by venue?  Yes
If yes, are motions for venue accepted?  Yes
Is a hearing required to obtain a parentage order?  Yes, in some counties.
Is a parentage order possible in Oklahoma based solely on the fact that the child was born in Oklahoma (i.e., neither of the Intended Parents lives in Oklahoma)? Yes, in some counties.
Will Oklahoma Vital Records honor a pre-birth order from another state?  Sometimes but receiving the Birth Certificate may take longer and it will probably need to be mailed to the Parents.
What is the typical time frame to obtain a birth certificate after delivery?  A birth certificate can be obtained within two weeks of birth if the parents go in person to Vital Records and if the hospital has sent Vital Records all the necessary documents. If by mail, the wait time varies from two (2) weeks to four (4) months.

Same-Sex Couples

How are same-sex parents named on the final birth certificate?  Father and Mother
Can an international same-sex male couple obtain an initial birth certificate naming the biological father and Gestational Carrier? Yes, but the biological father must sign an Affidavit at the hospital attesting that he is the biological father. The husband of the Gestational Carrier will then be removed from the birth certificate.
Can they subsequently obtain a birth certificate naming only the biological father or both fathers, with no mention of the Gestational Carrier?  Yes
Can the non-biological parent in a same-sex couple obtain a second parent adoption based solely on the fact that the child was born in Oklahoma (i.e., neither of the Intended Parents lives in Oklahoma)?  No. Courts in Oklahoma do not grant second parent adoptions.
If no, will Oklahoma Vital Records honor a second parent adoption order from another state and add the second parent to the birth certificate?  Yes


Oklahoma courts do not currently grant second parent adoptions for Oklahoma residents.


Is there a statute or published case law that addresses the rights of a donor over the resulting eggs, sperm, embryo or child?  Yes, Okla. Stat. 10-555 states that an egg donor has no rights or obligations with respect to any child resulting from the donation and the child has no rights with respect to the donor. Okla. Stat.10-552 is similar but covers sperm donation. Okla. Stat. 10-556 covers embryo donation.


Traditional Surrogacy in Oklahoma is treated like an adoption and, therefore, must be uncompensated. A 1983 opinion by the Attorney General declared that compensated surrogacy agreements are prohibited under the Oklahoma Trafficking in Children Statute. Okla. Stat. 21 O.S. 866.

State law information provided by the following attorneys practicing Reproductive Law in this state:
Virginia Frank

Noel Tucker


(405) 513-5750

This is a copyrighted document and therefore protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Violation of these laws is a punishable offense under the US Copyright laws and, depending on the method of transmission, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Any retransmission or use of this document or any map herein is expressly prohibited without prior and express authorization of Creative Family Connections LLC.

Creative Family Connections LLC is not providing legal advice to users of this website, nor does use of any of the maps or summaries on this website constitute or create any attorney-client relationship between Creative Family Connections LLC and users of this site.

This website is not intended to substitute for consulting with legal counsel in the appropriate local jurisdiction. Creative Family Connections makes no warranties that the information on this site is current, accurate, or that favorable results that have been obtained in prior cases will be obtained in future cases.

Please advise us of any state law updates at map@creativefamilyconnections.com.